Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Serving or being served

I was challenged today by a concept that I had never really mediated on. The concept is this: the early church as described in the book of Acts was much more intent on being served by God rather than serving God.

Why does that jar me? It must be that I need to grow in my understanding of grace. I think my whole life should be devoted to serving God. I think that is only right. I have Scripture to back that up.

But, I believe I have missed something in all of that. The concept of God “serving me” seems to make me say, “No, Jesus! You will never serve me. I am the one who is supposed to be serving you.” Sound familiar? Yeah, that’s what Peter said when Jesus was intent on serving Him. “I am among you as the one who serves.” That is what Jesus told the disciples, and I don’t think He has adjusted His position on that.

Okay. I am starting to get it. Starting to get it, mind you. I am nowhere close to grasping this like I hope to one day. But I am a person that is in desperate need of being served by God. If He doesn’t do that, I have no hope. If I don’t experience His grace, I have no other source of help. I am a needy person. Without Him, I can't do anything (see John 15:6).

So today, I am adjusting my prayers. I am asking God to serve me with His grace. It feels uncomfortable, but I am aware this morning more than ever of my need to be served! Of course, I want to serve God, but today I know more than serving God I need to be served by Him.