- My kids weren’t present. Shawna had taken them to Pennsylvania to spend time with her parents. I have not tried to picture what it would’ve been like if they had been there.
- Because we had flooding recently with a previous hard rain, our basement had been “rearranged.” If it had not been...ugh!
- I "happened" to be in the basement (due to a tornado warning) which allowed me to hear the water coming (trickling then pouring then gushing) in the basement window. If I hadn’t been down there, much more damage would’ve been done.
- My neighbor is willing AND able to help at any time for any reason. He made the trek down to my house amid a tornado warning. I feel sorry for the rest of the world that doesn’t have the neighbor I have. I feel blessed beyond words.
- Our electricity never went out. Messing with flooded basements in the dark would’ve been a big-time bummer.
- Our sump pump which had not needed to run for the previous 3 years we have lived in the house actually worked!
Ironically, Irene is a family name of Shawna's family (and now ours). The name has more significance now than ever.