Thursday, September 4, 2008

The truth hurts...and helps

I ran across some verses in prep for Sunday's message. Then, I heard them referred to in a podcast I listened to.
Colossians 3:1-4 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
The rest of the chapter is incredible as well, but I couldn't get over the truth of these four verses. I began asking myself all kinds of questions...
  • Am I seeking 'above' things or 'here' things?
  • Is my mind set on Christ? Or do I set my mind on all-things-Curtis?
  • Do I realize that I have died to a life of sin? Or am I still consumed by the guilt or practice of it?
  • Do I realize that my life is hidden with Christ in God? So, Christ is living His life out in me. I am hidden, so that He might be exposed.
  • Do I understand that my identity, my life is in Christ? Or do I seek my identity from my family, my friends, my job, my_____ and my ______?
  • Do I look forward to His appearing? Or am I pretty amused and consumed by things that are here?
  • Do I grasp that His return means a change in my existence from temporal to eternal? If so, am I living in line with the truth? Do my actions demonstrate that my life is not pointed to things on this earth?
Powerful stuff from what could be my letter Paul wrote to a church. I might change my mind tomorrow and claim 2 Corinthians as my favorite, though.