ARE YOU MORE LOVING?
Whitney begins the chapter with numerous Scripture references that make our responsibility to love one another very clear. He mentions that love "is the badge and character of all Christianity."
I found that this chapter had some powerful (and convicting) quotes:
- "We're not growing in love when we have time for projects but not for people."
- "You do not love others if you will let them ruin their lives, their testimony, their reputation, and bring shame upon the church and the name of Christ, and you are unwilling to rescue them according to God's plan from the sin that has deceived them."
- "Many people are congratulating themselves for what amounts to merely being human, and they conclude that this innate love testifies of spiritual health."
He also suggests three areas where our love can develop:
- A love for other Christians - 1 John 3:14
- A love for the lost - Luke 6:27,32
- A love for your family - Ephesians 5:25
In closing, he gives several practical instructions concerning love. One that may be beneficial to all of us is "Identify those relationships where you most need to grow in love."
God, help us to be more loving!