Wednesday, December 17, 2008

So, we are ambassadors

I was reading this in a book called Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul Tripp. He is delineating the role of ambassadors and some questions they must ask themselves. Great stuff!

1. The message of the King. An ambassador is always asking, “What does my Lord want to communicate to this person in this situation? What truths should shape my response? What goals should motivate me?

2. The methods of the King. Here I will ask, “How does the Lord bring change in me and in others? How did he respond to people here on earth? What responses are consistent with the goals and resources of the gospel?

3. The character of the King. Here I ask, “Why does the Lord do what he does? How can I faithfully represent the character that motivates his redemption work? What motives in my own heart could hinder what the Lord wants to do in this situation?”