Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"What do you enjoy most about being a pastor?"

"What do you enjoy most about being a pastor?" That is the question a good friend asked me yesterday. It was followed by a lengthy pause.

I am not really good at superlatives (i.e. the most, the best, etc.). But, still there are some things that came to mind when I thought about that question (and a few more after I gave it some extended thought).
  • I think any time you are operating in the realm God calls you, you see more of Him and come to know Him better. That would be at the top of the list. My responsibility and privilege has drawn me into knowing Him better. I agree with Paul in Philippians 3: "I want to know Him."
  • I love being able to dig deep in Scripture and see fresh insights. I have been reading the Bible for as long as I have been able to read. I had 13 years of Christian school chapels, 4 years of daily Christian college chapels, plus seminary for 5.5 more years (that is not to mention weeks of Sunday School lessons, AWANA, and children's church). Still, studying and preaching gives me the opportunity to see things I have never seen before. What a privilege. It is even a greater privilege to share those with others.
  • I love the opportunity to invest in people's lives in a spiritual sense. Often I get to speak with those who have strong faith, struggling faith, and sometimes no faith or misguided faith. Hearing myself articulate my personal faith and hope in God and His Son Jesus never fails to bolster my faith.
  • I guess I would also add this: serving as a pastor gives me a front row seat to God's work in people's lives. As a pastor, I believe that God gives you a heart for the people who He has called you to serve. To live, love, and grow with them is a huge privilege.
So, there are 4. I am sure given a few more minutes of time would allow me to come up with dozens more.