Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Some questions to ask in pursuit of being like Christ

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. - Hebrews 12:14

In the desire for being holy, there are some useful questions to ask to evaluate our heart at any particular time.
  1. What/Who am I trusting?  What are we relying on?  What do we count on to bring us security, stability, hope, etc?
  2. What/Who do I treasure?  What we value says a lot about what is going on in our hearts.  What do we fear losing?  What you would put in this blank shows where your treasure is:  If _________ were lost, I would not just be sad, I would be devastated.
  3. What am I attacking?  We are told to kill (put to death) sin (Romans 8).  So, what sins are you attacking?  Are there sins that you have "declared war on?"  Are you actively fighting, or have you temporarily laid down your weapons and chosen not to fight?
God, help us to grow in looking more like Your Son.