I thought of a couple of ways I try to do this (emphasis on the word 'try')...
- If I stop to pray about what I have just learned, then I am more likely to be impacted by it. So, I was studying 1 Corinthians 7 recently (I will use this chapter, only because it is fresh on my mind). I found myself connecting that chapter with prayer and so in my heart, I believe that God was driving much of that chapter home in my life.
- In addition, I found myself not only praying about 1 Corinthians 7, but also praying FOR PEOPLE with requests shaped by 1 Corinthians 7. So, I began to think of names and faces which once again made God's Word come alive to me.
- I also have felt impressed to talk to others about what God is teaching me there. I find that as I talk through things with other believers, I am more inclined to be shaped by God's Word as well. (In addition, they may share insight into that arena, or be impacted themselves).
- I try to look at my life and see if there are any shortcomings in which I by the grace of God needs to change. I have found a couple of pointed time-specific ways of working toward change in those shortcomings.
- If possible, I may try to write in a journal some of the things I am learning about God, myself, and others. It documents what God is teaching me. It also serves as a reference point to come back to in the future.
Any other thoughts?