Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Memorizing and meditating

While I understand and appreciate and seek to apply many of the spiritual disciplines in my life, it seems like I have varying degrees of obedience in the area of Scripture memory.

However, God is good to remind me of my need to pursue Him by memorizing and soaking on His Word. In particular, I pulled out some of my memory cards, and came across these verses.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned. The flame will not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. - Isaiah 43:1-3a (fyi, I typed that from memory, so I might have missed a word or two, but progress is progress)

I was reminded by these verses of so many good things.
  • My identity is that I am His. I bear His name. I need nothing else than His redemption.
  • I will pass through rivers and fire. It is a 'when' question, not an 'if' question.
  • God is MY God, and MY Savior. As all-powerful and sovereign as He is, He still is a personal Savior.
Good words to meditate on.