Thursday, August 30, 2007

Heathens and Pagans

Some things bring a smile to your face. We have been saying our goodbyes here in Tennessee. Someone pulled me aside a couple of days ago, and told me "I will be praying for you because there are heathens and pagans up north." (It conjured up images of Nineveh in my mind!) I quickly smiled, but I realized the lady was not joking. She had a distinct opinion of the "Yankees," as she called them. [On a side note, I am pretty sure that many here in the South do not feel like Lee represented their opinions at Appomattox. On another side note, I don't think she realized I am married to my sweetheart from Pennsylvania (what would she say about my in-laws?), and my mom is from Michigan.]

As I thought about the many people that I met while we were up there, I was trying to remember if I met any heathens or pagans. Could Al Demers or Greg Weigel be classified as a heathen? I don't think so! Could Jim Manning be referred to as a pagan... Maybe Jim's a bad illustration! Let's pick another person. Just kidding.

Seriously, I know that I have no idea of all the differences that come by crossing the Mason-Dixon Line. What I do know is that we are all sinners! I do know that apart from Christ we all would be pagans and heathen! I do know that God has a great plan to change the lives of many people who are "pagan and heathen." So, I think I am going to drop labels, love people, and attempt to show them that with God's grace they can truly be alive in Christ.