Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jeremiah in the morning

While reading through the book of Jeremiah can be difficult, it is also challenging. You hear God's voice as He calls out a nation's sin, and then you look inside your own heart, and realize He is calling out your sin! Here are some challenging verses I read this morning from the first three chapters
1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

1:19 They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the Lord, to deliver you.”

2:5 Thus says the Lord: “What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?

2:8 The priests did not say, ‘Where is the Lord?’ Those who handle the law did not know me; the shepherds transgressed against me;

2:11 Has a nation changed its gods, even though they are no gods? But my people have changed their glory for that which does not profit.

2:22 Though you wash yourself with lye and use much soap, the stain of your guilt is still before me, declares the Lord God.

2:35 You say, ‘I am innocent; surely his anger has turned from me.’ Behold, I will bring you to judgment for saying, ‘I have not sinned.’

3:10 Yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah did not return to me with her whole heart, but in pretense, declares the Lord.”

3:13 Only acknowledge your guilt, that you rebelled against the Lord your God and scattered your favors among foreigners under every green tree, and that you have not obeyed my voice, declares the Lord.