Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thanking God for our staff

I rarely write about our staff on this blog. That certainly is not because I don't appreciate what they do. Truth be told, I think the main reason why I don't write more is that I hesitate using the blog for any type of self-serving hype or self-promotion. However, I do know that God's Word says to give honor where honor is do.

I am grateful for our staff for several reasons:
  • They see their role as a ministry, not just a job.
  • Because they love each other, the office is not a place of drama where so-and-so is not speaking to so-and-so. I am telling the truth when I say I haven't seen ANY of that in the 22 months I have been here.
  • There is an environment of teamwork and friendship.
  • They accept loving correction, and desire to constantly be improving.
  • They do not gossip. They care more about people than information.
  • They are extremely resourceful with being good stewards of our resources.
  • They manage the stress of changed plans, managing volunteers, and a pastor who is trying to learn to communicate better.
  • They love and listen to people.
  • They work hard when no one is watching.
  • They have a heart for people who don't know Jesus Christ. We pray for friends/family often to come to Christ.
  • They make leadership a joy (see Hebrews 13:17).
  • Because they serve well, I believe that our church leaders are free from distractions, and able to serve Christ with all their heart. What a blessing.
Having said that, our staff is not perfect. We all have areas of growth. We all are, God-willing, increasing in our sanctification. No one knows that more than we do. Their 'boss' is CERTAINLY not perfect, just ask them. But, God's grace shines through them. Continue to pray for us. And thank you for supporting OBC in such a way that it allows our staff to serve Christ and you.