Sunday, October 7, 2007

Like a father with his children

Sometimes I think through the message on Sunday afternoon, and think of all the things I could've said better. I also think of other things in the passage that for whatever reason we were not able to cover. One of those hit me, probably because I am a dad. It is in 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12. It says, "For you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory." Although the context is referring to ministry, what great insight this is into the role of a father!

I am supposed to exhort my children. I am to be a voice in their lives of instruction and wisdom.

I am supposed to encourage my children. The word speaks of speaking to them in a comforting way. Life's tough, and someone needs to help them navigate it.

I am supposed to "charge" my children to walk in a manner worthy of God. That may mean discipline, it may mean long talks, but it will most certainly will mean a large investment of my life.

What a great job description!