Monday, October 1, 2007

Our perspective

Let me give you a secret, I get regular lessons in theology. I have a special tudor (if you check out the comments, this should be spelled "tutor." Thank you Carlos for pointing that out!) who makes sure I understand reality. My tutor? My 3 year old son. I know I mention him often, but he says and does a lot of things worth mentioning. I got a clear lesson tonight.

As I was laying on the couch, my son, out of the kindness of his heart, offered me "his" blanket. I put it in quotes because it is really "my" blanket. I was given the blanket 12 years ago. It is clearly mine, not his. Somehow however, he has "acquired" it as his own. Don't we do that with "our" stuff? What we have "acquired," really is not ours, but we often forget that detail. Sure, we give token credit to God ("He's given me so much"), but ultimately it is our stuff in our mind. Wow, I act like a 3 year old more than I care to admit.

Thanks, son, for some great theology lessons.

P.S. The picture is courtesy of Photo Booth on the ole' iMac.