Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Some more thoughts from Philippians

Tonight, at our Wednesday night Bible study, I will be sharing some of these thoughts, but I wanted to put a preview of them on the blog.

Over the last month, I have spent a lot of time in the book of Philippians. I have seen my time spent there as being God's grace beyond measure to me. However, as I have taken a closer look at Paul's words to a church written 2000 years ago, I have been reminded of how Paul uses ordinary language to point people to grace that is found in Jesus. Let me give some examples.
  • Hello - Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

  • I appreciate you - I thank my God in all my remembrance of you

  • I want to be with you - For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.

  • I will be okay - I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.

  • I want to keep ministering to you - Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith,

  • Be united - So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy,complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.

  • Don’t complain - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
There are so many others, but it is just a good reminder to me that grace should be a part of my regular conversation!