Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Q and A, part 1

I recently was asked to fill out some questions for an interview. For what they are worth, I thought I would post them on the blog.
================

Please describe your morning devotions. What time do you wake up in the morning? How much time do you spend reading, meditating, praying, etc.? What are you presently reading?

I wake up between 5 and 6:30 most days. I normally don’t do my personal devotions at that time. Normally, I try to do that around 8 or 9. I feel awake then. My time in Bible reading (apart from sermon prep) ranges from 15 minutes to 45 minutes on most work days, and varies on my day off. I am currently on a plan by the Navigators, so I am reading in Matthew, Numbers, Psalms, and Romans. I am being fed by the Psalms. In praying I am trying to grow. I feel like I have made progress in intercessory prayer, but need to grow in my stillness before the Lord.

What book(s) are you currently reading in these three categories: (a) for your soul, (b) for pastoral ministry, or (c) for personal enjoyment?

(a) I just got done with Feel by Matthew Elliott. He pushed me in some pretty neat ways. I also read The Heart of a Servant Leader by Jack Miller, which I think could feed me and shepherd me for years.
(b) I am reading two commentaries on Daniel to prepare for an upcoming sermon series (by Wallace and Longman). I am also reading Christ and Culture Revisited by D.A. Carson for the same series. We are also reading Total Church by Tim Chester and Steve Timmis as a church staff.
(c) I am reading Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen. It is a book written nearly 70-80 years ago that seems to be helpful in deciphering current issues. My fun reading normally comes through the newspaper or through GolfWord, the best weekly news magazine. I also subscribe to a couple of Christian periodicals (Leadership, Touchstone, and the Briefing).

Apart from Scripture, what book do you most frequently re-read and why?

A couple. (1) The Cross Centered Life by Mahaney, because it is readable, short, convicting and encouraging. (2) Knowing Jesus through the Old Testament by Chris Wright, because it makes me love Jesus more, the OT more, and the NT more.

=========
I will post some more of the questions another day.