Monday, March 16, 2009

Q and A, part 2

This is part two in an interview I did (part 1 is here).

If you could study under any theologian in church history (excluding those men in Scripture), who would it be and why?
Probably D.A. Carson or Wayne Grudem. They certainly aren’t ancient, so they might not count. I probably pick these men, because I haven’t read as much as I should in the area of ancient writings. However, these men and their books have become trusted teachers. Another pastor (from church history) that I would love to spend time with would be John Bunyan. Pilgrim’s Progress bleeds Scripture.

What single piece of counsel (or constructive criticism) has most improved your preaching?
Probably what was burned in to me in my doctoral studies and that is if you feel compelled to preach on a certain subject, don’t force it on a text. If your subject is truly biblical, then use the text that teaches it.

What books on preaching, or examples of it, have you found most influential in your own preaching?
So many have played different roles. I would say I get a high view of preaching from John Piper (The Supremacy of God in Preaching). I strive for a conversational tone because of Andy Stanley. My theology of preaching is shaped by John Stott (Between Two Worlds). I also really value Tim Keller and his emphasis on the gospel. Mark Dever’s preaching has also given me the freedom to attempt to tackle larger chunks of Scripture in one message. Haddon Robinson’s work on Biblical Preaching also introduced me to a good conception of expositional preaching. I try to read a preaching book on a regular basis to keep things fresh.