Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Q and A, part three

This is part three in an interview I did (part 1 is here and part 2 is here).

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your effective use of time?

I think of two things. (1) Do the things that are most important at a time when you are at your best. So, I try to study in the morning. (2) A series of posts by C.J. Mahaney on roles, goals, and scheduling. In addition, I am trying to grow in my understanding of a New Testament application of the Sabbath. I have benefited in this from a message by Darren Patrick.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your leadership?
I think that this comes from Robert Murray M’Cheyne, but it is this: “The greatest gift I can give my church is my personal holiness.”

Where in ministry are you most regularly tempted to discouragement?
Mainly on Sunday afternoons realizing that (1) I didn’t communicate something well, or (2) what I did communicate had little impact.

Do you exercise?
If so, what do you do? If not, why not? Unfortunately, no. However, I am trying to get back into it (I have said that for a long time). I really need a running partner, and it just hasn’t materialized.

Currently, what sport do you like to play and/or watch?
I love watching football and golf. I used to love watching a truckload of college football on Saturday, but sermon prep has diminished that. I enjoy playing golf, but I hate that it takes more time and money than I have to be good at it.

What do you do for leisure?
Read. Enjoy the family. I am currently enjoying watching the mini-series on John Adams.

If you were not in ministry, what occupational path would you have chosen?
Most likely it would not be public speaking, other than maybe teaching. Tough question. I think that it might be in the computer field.