Friday, April 24, 2009

Weighed and found wanting

Daniel 5 seems to end in an ominous tone. Verse 27 mentions that King Belshazzar was weighed in the balances and found wanting.

It is clear that God is the judge and His assessment is the only one that matters. Before I am too quick to say "That's what pagan kings deserve," I have to realize that in God's eyes, my life apart from Jesus is weighed in the balances. It has fallen short of God's glory. I have not pleased Him or honored Him. Truly, in the righteousness category, I am found lacking (or wanting).

But, then Christ comes. He lacks nothing in the righteousness category. He identifies with me in my sin. He experienced worse judgment than Belshazzar did for my sin. So, that now, according to Romans, he is just and the one who justifies. He is my greatest advocate. I am not left to experience the wrath of God or His judgment.

I receive life.