Thursday, November 5, 2009

I am thankful for a new heritage

I don't come from a long line of Christians. My parents both came to faith in Jesus as adults. So, my heritage is not of an earnest praying grandmother or a godly grandpa.

Instead, my heritage is that of parents who were walking in darkness, until God's light shone on them and they repented and believed in Jesus. I was 4 months old at the time. But, I am grateful for what God has done in our family. Although most of my grandparents, and other relatives etc. lived their lives as unbelievers, I now have
  • a dad who has walked with God, taught Sunday School classes, led Bible studies, witnessed for Christ, given to the church faithfully and generously, ministered to handicapped adults
  • a mom who prays earnestly, who knows the Bible well, who has taught thousands (literally) of children the Bible, who has played the piano for people in nursing homes and homeless shelters, who has led dozens of people to Christ (even one in the last few months)
  • a brother-in-law and sister who serve faithfully at a church
  • a brother-in-law and sister who work at a camp that had a huge impact on Shawna and me
  • nieces and nephews who have come to faith in Christ and been baptized
That is only the tip of the iceberg. Thank God for a heritage like that. I am face-in-the-dirt humbled by a God who would be so good!