Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I wish I could write a personal letter to the hundreds of people who call Ogletown their home church. If I did (in the spirit of the first part of Colossians 1), it might say something like this...
Dear OBC,
I want you to know that I thank God for you. Many of you I know by face, many of you I know by name, but it is a privilege to be a shepherd to you all. I am blessed, actually we all are, to be at a church where God is moving. When I hear of people coming to Christ, when I hear of parents teaching their children, when I see people loving their neighbor, when I sense the desire to be a part of God's plan for the nations, when I hear the congregational singing, when I sense the presence of the Holy Spirit in our services, when I know people are crying out to God in prayer, when I talk with those who are sharing their faith, when I see people suffer in a God-glorifying way, when I talk with people who have laid down personal preference, when I see a humble, submissive heart, when I know people are giving generously and sacrificially, when I watch a teenager humble themselves before God and their parents, when I know of college students who are boldly stepping out in faith, when I see people sacrificing time, money, energy for the sake of Christ and his church, just know I am blown away to share this time with you as your pastor. I could say more, but I never could say "thank you" to God enough for Ogletown!