Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A few more thoughts on Proverbs 10 from a friend

From my friend Bethany Bracht:

Starting with Proverbs 10, the next 12 chapters contain seemingly random pieces of wisdom that have the ability to convict, guide, encourage and warn. I didn't need to get very far into chapter 10 to receive that all too familiar conviction and unpleasant realization of my own self-righteousness. As I read Proverbs 10:1..."A wise child brings joy to a father, a foolish child brings grief to a mother"...I thought...EXACTLY! My kids soooo need to read this. And then I thought...."Oh...okay God...You're talking to me, aren't You?. How often do I behave like and have the attitude of a foolish child?

One of our family sayings is: Are you going to be like an Israelite OR are you going to obey with a happy heart and without complaining? Israel was a great example of the "foolish child" that is made example of in Proverbs 10. God, being our Heavenly Parent, delights in our obedience and attainment of wisdom. After all, He tells us to seek wisdom and even ask Him for it (James 1:5). So, how can I be a wise child of God who brings joy to my Father in Heaven?

Well, if wisdom is making the best use of our knowledge...and the foundation of knowledge is fear [respect] of the Lord (Proverbs 1:7)...then I suppose sitting at the feet of Wisdom Himself, seeking Him in all we do, asking Him for guidance and loving Him with all of our heart, mind and strength puts me on the path of being a wise child. Lord, help me walk that path!

So today...how am I going to choose wisdom over foolishness? Reading Proverbs is a good place to start!