Monday, December 31, 2007

Reading in 2008

I was talking to a friend (who has a great blog, by the way) about my reading plans for 2008. I am going to try to plan out some of my reading this year, so that I am not drawn to read things that are only on one topic. My goal is to read something from five categories each month: Older authors, theology, ministry/preaching, culture and secular society, and miscellaneous.

So based on that, here is what January will look like, God-willing.

Based on this blogger's recommendation, I am going to try to read a Puritan author a month. I am going to deviate a little from his schedule and read Overcoming Sin and Temptation by Owen in January. I am planning on preaching on this subject soon.


I am cheating on this one, because I am halfway through Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics by Graeme Goldsworthy. He is a great writer. The half I have read though makes me know the second half will be equally worthwhile.


I have read some on this subject, and some by this author, but How People Change seems to be pretty interesting to me. It is one of the primary goals of my preaching each week, so reading about it surely couldn't hurt.



I am interested in The World Is Flat, not so much from an economic point of view, but because I think the principles in the book have great impact on world evangelism. And based on the church's mission, I think we have to evaluate new opportunities to share the gospel.


With the family, I plan on going through The Jesus Storybook Bible. Every review of this Bible has been positive, and I think we all could benefit from this each evening.