Thursday, January 17, 2008

The church (not just ours)

I have mentioned in sermons here that my background is one of going to church (all the time). When I was a child, we had services on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday night. If there were special "revival meetings," we were there. That was just the way it was.

As I have grown up (or more accurately, am growing up), I have still experienced the grace of God through the church. I still love it. That works well for my occupation. (Sometime ask my wife to share with you some the story of a pastor of her church growing up who liked boating on the lake more than he liked going to church. That became a problem when he was out pretty regularly on the lake Sunday mornings, and let someone else preach. It didn't turn out so good for him or the church.)

I know that the church is not a perfect place, and yet each week I have front-row seats to see what God is doing through it. That is why reading a few pages this morning from a book like this is such a treat for me. It is close to the experience I have in eating Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (hint, hint).

So for all of those who want a perfect church, you might not hang around OBC (or really any church) for long. For all those who love the idea of connecting with the family of God, I hope you give your life to and fall in love with a God-honoring, Bible-believing, people-loving family of faith (whether it is OBC or not).