Monday, January 21, 2008

Humbling AND encouraging

I was just closing out some of the files on my computer this morning, and I saw my sermon notes from yesterday. I felt a couple of different things when I looked at them.
  • I felt humbled. I realized there was so much more to say. I realize there are always ways of saying something better. I realized that God has to do a great work in my own life and in the life of our church if we are going to be more like Him. So, that leaves you feeling pretty inadequate for the task of clearly communicating His words to people.

  • But, I also felt encouraged. I realize that God does His work before, during, and long after I get done speaking. He is using the words and Scripture that were communicated to transform our body. I hear of stories where lives are changed through an awakening to the Word and to the Spirit, and I realize what a privilege it is to be used by God in His purposes.
So, that sums it up: humbled and encouraged. A pretty good way to start a Monday!