Thursday, November 29, 2007

Old words, powerful words

I read this yesterday in a book by John Bunyan called Grace Abounding to the Chiefest of Sinners.

I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:
  1. An inclining to unbelief,
  2. Suddenly to forget the love and mercy that Christ manifests,
  3. A leaning to the works of the law, (We've talked a lot about this at OBC lately)
  4. Wanderings and coldness in prayer,
  5. To forget to watch what I pray for,
  6. Aptness to murmur because I have no more, and yet ready to abuse what I have, and
  7. I can do none of those things that God commands me without my corruptions thrusting themselves in.
“I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me” (Romans 7:21)

These things I continually see and feel, and am afflicted and oppressed with, yet the wisdom of God does order them for my good:
  1. They make me abhor myself;
  2. They keep me from trusting my heart;
  3. They convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness;
  4. They show me the necessity of flying to Jesus;
  5. They press me to pray unto God;
  6. They show me the need I have to watch and be sober; and
  7. They provoke me to pray unto God, through Christ, to help me and carry me through the world.
Some great things to think about. I am not sure people write like that anymore.