Monday, July 14, 2008

Is humility a virtue?

Is humility a virtue? Maybe not in the sight of a culture that seems to lift up a self-confident, have-it-your-way mindset. But, God weighs in on the subject, and His declaration is certainly the 'weightiest.' I read this passage - Isaiah 66:1-2 - in my devotions this afternoon, and wanted to share some of my response (which will be in parentheses).
Thus says the Lord:
"Heaven is my throne,
(You are high above everything)
and the earth is my footstool;
(Everything on earth is completely subject to you)
what is the house that you would build for me,
and what is the place of my rest?
(Anything I would do for you cannot compare)
All these things my hand has made,
and so all these things came to be.
(It is your will that I have breath and life)
But this is the one to whom I will look:
(Thank you, God, for looking to human flesh)
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
(God, make me humble)
and trembles at my word.
(God, may I have a reverent fear that leads to love and obedience)