Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's Thursday, but Sunday's comin'

Only those who are preaching-nerds will appreciate the title to the post.

Anyway, I am planning on talking about prayer Sunday. I have come to the conclusion that I could talk about prayer the next 52 Sundays, and still not really exhaust the subject, but you have to start somewhere.

If you want to look at some of the places we will be on Sunday, check out 2 Samuel 7 and Jeremiah 29. Rather than trying to roll out a guilt-trip on why we don't pray, I have been attempting to discern why we should pray, and what really is our source of prayer. I have a feeling we won't be able to cover all that I want to, but it's worth the try.

Some of the resources that have been helpful this week in preparing have been:
  • OBC'ers who are wrestling with the privilege, responsibility, command, and blessing that is prayer.

  • A book called Prayer and the Knowledge of God by Graeme Goldsworthy. If ever there was a big picture kind of guy, Graeme's the guy!

  • A book by Philip Yancey called Prayer. Yancey always seems to make me uncomfortable by putting the difficult questions on paper that are in my mind and heart.

  • A chapter of a book by A.W. Pink called "The Sovereignty of God in Prayer."

  • A message by Louie Giglio called "Who's Blessing Whom?" passed on to me by Emily, our college minister.
I will say this Sunday, but I have realized more and more that prayer is a mystery that is meant to be approached with humility. It's a mystery because of God's sovereignty, and it should be approached with humility because of our sinfulness.

See you Sunday!