Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Moving and Transitions - Part 3

I have posted twice on the subject (here and here), but thought I would finish the thought tonight.

Tonight was a good time for the Hill family. We spent it eating dinner with a special friend. The restaurant was right on the Tennessee River which flows right through Chattanooga. After dinner, we walked along a sidewalk that is close to the river. As we were walking, I think Shawna and I both realized that it might be our last walk as a family along that river for a long time. It's a special place, as you can tell by the pictures, and we wanted to spend some time there.

I thought once again about our move. When you know you are going to move, you invest your time differently than if you are going to stay. For instance, tonight we could have come home, gotten baths squared away at the preferred time. But, we knew as a family that we would not be able to take a walk there again, so we chose to invest our time in that way. We have also realized that how we spend our money has been affected by the move. We are not investing money in things that would make life in Chattanooga better. If we spend money, we spend it with our future in view.

Spiritually, I wonder how our lives would be different if we invested our time and money as if we were leaving rather than staying. I think it would have to change it. It is not that we would miss out on any fun. It just would shift what is worth investing in.

I have been challenged in the last few days (as you can tell) to live for eternity. An old gospel song put it this way, "This world is not my home, I'm just a' passin' through." The sentiment is a reality expressed by Paul in many places, especially Philippians 1. And it should be a reality to us.

I guess I have just been trying to not feel too "at home in this world anymore."