Thursday, September 6, 2007

Reflecting on Psalm 40

Do you ever read something familiar and have it hit you in a new way. I was reading these verses from Psalm 40 this morning.

I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation;behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O Lord. I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation.
As for you, O Lord, you will not restrain your mercy from me; your steadfast love and your faithfulness will ever preserve me!


A couple of things were so encouraging to me...
  1. The "good news" did not just begin with Jesus. Certainly, the "good news" finds its completion in Jesus, but even in the Old Testament there was glad news of deliverance. The Old Testament is full of reminders that God had a plan and that was "good news" to the nations.

  2. I love the two uses of "restrained" in these verses. The psalmist says that he has not restrained his lips from praising God. But, he also recognizes that God does not restrain in showing mercy.

  3. It also speaks of telling the glad news "within the congregation." I know the psalmist wasn't speaking specifically of the church, but I think the application is there. What better place to talk about what God has done than in the place where His people assemble.
I look forward to joining you many Sundays (and throughout the week) in listening and sharing of God's faithfulness and salvation.