Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Written Prayers

There are some great things about being a Baptist. (I have been one since about 4 months old, so it really is all I know). However, I think sometimes we have missed out on the way other believers express their faith. For instance, most Baptists do not write out their prayers. I think that the desire is to be spontaneous and "pray from your heart." I appreciate that sentiment. And yet, I have found that there is a great benefit to writing out prayers. I have tried to discipline myself to do that at least once a week. I was introduced to a book of written prayers (called The Valley of Vision) a few years ago. I wanted to share some of a prayer that I read this morning. The language is somewhat dated, but the truth is piercing.
Thy cross was upraised to be my refuge
Thy blood streamed forth to wash me clean
Thy death occurred to give me a surety
Thy name is my property to save me
And again
Thy cross has brought me near, softened my heart, made me thy Father's child, admitted me to thy family, and made me joint-heir with thyself.
Great words! And, I am so glad they were WRITTEN so that I could read them years later.