Friday, September 28, 2007

Sunday Preview

Sunday comes every week! You realize that more when you preach every week. :-) Truthfully, if the ole' sermon is not coming together, Sunday coming is not what you want to be reminded of. But, there are times when you just can't wait for it to come. I think I am in that category this week. In lieu of Sunday coming, here are a few thoughts...
  1. If you want to be way ahead of the general population, read Romans 7 and 8 this weekend. It couldn't hurt to read those chapters every weekend, but we are going to look at them this Sunday.

  2. If you know of someone who has struggled with guilt and feeling condemned by others and by God, do everything you can to get them here Sunday. I am not promising a great sermon, only a great attempt through the Bible to show God's heart for the biggest sinner in the world (that surely includes me)!

  3. SPOILER ALERT: If you don't want to know where I am going with Sunday's message do not read The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney. He articulates my passion for Sunday so well in that book, if you read that you could get an excused absence from Sunday. :-)

  4. I have also been challenged and blessed by reading What's So Amazing about Grace? by Philip Yancey (FYI, I am sure that I don't agree with everything Yancey says, but then again, I am not sure I agree with everything I say). Yancey always does an "amazing" job of making the Bible come alive. He really does a great job of painting grace in a contemporary, powerful way.

  5. I am doing something new Sunday. On the handout you get coming into the church, I have included a section entitled "taking it home." It is my attempt to make Sunday more than just a sermon. I want the message we hear to "have legs" and walk with us throughout the week. I guess we'll see how it goes.
That's enough for now. Can't wait to see you on Sunday.